Your thesis should be stated somewhere in the opening paragraphs of your paper, most often as the last sentence of the introduction. Often, a thesis will be one sentence, but for complex subjects, you may find it more effective to break the thesis statement into two sentences.
A thesis statement is a sentence that states the topic and purpose of your paper. A good thesis statement will direct the structure of your essay and will allow your reader to understand the ideas you will discuss within your paper.
Evaluate the extent to which ideological, diplomatic, and military factors contributed to the United States victory in the Revolutionary War. Confine your answer to the period 1775-1783.
Provide 3+ sentences that set up for the time frame of the prompt (Contextualization) and then write a thesis statement that is 1-2 sentences, fully responds to the prompt, and sets up solid/broad arguments that will allow for quality body paragraphs.
CHECKLIST FOR TABLE OF CONTENTS
To save yourself some time in making your Table of Contents, be sure that you use font styles.
For example: Story-telling should be incorporated into the curriculum of early childhood education programs in order to encourage language development in young children.
- Assert a strong position that can be challenged and debated, rather than merely describing or stating facts that cannot be contested
- Form a complete sentence that clearly explains to the reader the overall direction of the essay
- Be sufficiently narrow rather than broad, so the topic can be adequately addressed in the essay
- Communicate a single, overarching point rather than multiple points that may be too difficult or broad to support
- Be clear and specific, as opposed to overly vague, open-ended, or general