how to reference a website in an essay apa
If the source stands alone (e.g. a report) it is italicized.
According to APA Style, if a webpage is part of a greater website do not italicize the title.
- Examples are not double-spaced, but your References list should be double-spaced
- Examples do not show indented lines after the first line, but yours should be indented
- Omit any information not found (author, organizational sponsor, date published or updated, etc.).
APA Website Citation
Web sites do not include subscription databases
If you are referencing the name of an article, the article name is in quotations.
Smith and Tennant, authors of the article, “Time travel paradoxes in modern films,” observed .
Reference citation for a video
It is always important to validate a website before using it in your academic work. For more information visit http://guides.library.lincoln.ac.uk/learningdevelopment
- If a website does not have an obvious author, you can often find more information in the ‘About us’ section.
- When possible, include the year, month, and date in references. If the month and date are not available or if the website is not updated regularly, use the year of publication only.
- If you refer to an entire professional website, you do not need to include an entry in the reference list. You must identify the title of the source clearly in the text of your paper (capitalised but without special punctuation) and provide the electronic address in brackets.
- However, when you cite a particular document or piece of information from a website include both a reference list entry and an in-text citation.
- When citing sources that you find on the Internet you only need to include a retrieval date if the information you viewed is likely to change over time. If you reference an article from a wiki, for example, you would want to include a retrieval date because information in a wiki can be subject to a lot of change.
In-Text Citation (Direct Quote):
In-text Citation (Direct Quote):
Go to the original location (website) of the image and cite in one of the formats above.
[Photograph of person washing hands]. (n.d.). https://cdc.gov